Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Story of Abraham Lincoln: President for the People

By Larry Weinberg
Gareth Stevens Publishing
1997
112 pages
Reading Level:  4-6
Biography


This book is the story of Abraham Lincoln.  The book begins with Abe's grandfather before he was born, and it has black and white full-page illustrations of Abe throughout the book.  The Gettysburg Address is presented in its entirety at the end of the book.
 
I would rate this book as excellent.  I would use this book in a unit on the Civil War.  I think that the book will offer students a better understanding of the feelings nad events that led to this tragic event.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite Presidents and very appropo with the current Presidential election being yesterday. This would be a great book to use with kids in the classroom during either the Civil War lesson or in a government lesson. Looking forward to reading this book! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Bonnie, this is a very appropriate book for our current events. I'm glad you were able to find something like this at a younger reading level. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete