Sunday, October 28, 2012

Stone Fox

By John Reynolds Gardiner
HarperCollins Children's Books
1980
83 pages
Reading Level:  K-3, 4-6
Realistic Fiction


Willy is lives with his grandfather on a potato farm.  One day grandfather does not get out of bed, and the doctor tells Willy that his grandfather has lost the will to live.  Willy, with the help of his dog Searchlight, sets about trying to save the farm.  Unfortunately, there is no money, so Willy and Searchlight must harvest the potatoes themselves.  These actions are not enough though.  Willy decides that he has to win the dog sled contest as the prize money is the only way to save the farm, so he pulls money out of his college fund to pay for his entrance into the race.  Willy has a good chance, but so does Stone Fox.

I would rate this book as excellent.  The themes in this book are loyalty, family, and integrity.  I would use this book as a cross-curricular tool by tying together social studies and language arts.  The book also has a multicultural value as I can introduce my students to the Inuit culture.

3 comments:

  1. I love your layout! I enjoyed Stone Fox, as well. It is a great book to include in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shawn this book sounds amazing and a good hook for boys to get interested in reading. Yet another to add to my library! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you chose this book Shawn! I would like to finish reading it, since we started it in Communication Arts! Thanks for sharing, and yes, I too like your layout!

    ReplyDelete