Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Black Bull of Norroway

By Charlotte Huck
Greenwillow Books
2001
38 pages
Reading Level:  4-6, 7-8
Folklore


This book is full of beautiful illustrations that will capture its audeince.  The story is what I would call a Scottish version of Cinderella.  Peggy Ann does not care who she marries even if it is the Black Bull of Norroway.  She embarks on a journey with the Black Bull which is fraught with trouble.

I would rate this book as good.  I would use this book in the classroom to show my students how a common theme appears in folk tales from different corners of the world.  I would have them analyze the story to find similarities and differences with other versions of Cinderella in which they will then compare and contrast them.


No comments:

Post a Comment