Sunday, October 21, 2012

Henry and Ribsy

By Beverly Cleary
HarperCollins
1982
192 pages
Reading Level:  K-3, 4-6
Realistic Fiction



Henry Huggins wants to go salmon fishing with his father; however, Henry's dog, Ribsy, has been a nuisance with the neighbors.  Henry makes a deal with his father.  If Henry keeps Ribsy out of trouble with the neighbors, then he can go fishing with his father.  Keeping Ribsy out of trouble is a lot of work, and Henry has several adventures while doing this such as Ribsy chasing the garbage man and eating a neighbor girl's ice cream cone.

I would rate this book as excellent.  The themes of this book are pet ownership, manners, and conduct.  I think that I would use this book in the classroom as part of a literature circle of an author in which I could have other books written by Beverly Clearly to introduce my students to. 

*Note:  Due to the way the I have my book rating system, I have to amend on the reading level for this book, though as I think that this book is geared more towards third and fourth grade.


No comments:

Post a Comment